Friday, June 15, 2012

A Part of Buderim's History


Building on Buderim

by Shirley Reynolds (nee Stollznow)

Our family arrived on Buderim from Toogoolawah in June 1947. Our Dad, Alwyn Stollznow, had a holiday at “Seaspray” Guest House in Maroochydore, and he fell in love with Buderim. Farm land was being cut up by the Foote Brothers for house blocks. Being a builder by trade, he decided to buy a block and move the family here.

We moved into a very small old shed (7 of us) on the Foote property while Dad built the first house in Eckersley Ave. It was while here we met up with our close friends the Eggmolesse family of 7 children.

Dad and his brother Ernie employed local men and gradually built most of the homes on that estate. Later, Dad purchased 10 acres of land on King St, and called it ‘Panorama Farm’.  In 1954 we experienced a massive cyclone, destroying our banana plantation and most other farms on Buderim.

Five of us attended school on Buderim. (Later, we moved to a cane farm at Maroochydore.) School days were very carefree, walking to school, lots of times with no shoes. The boys had a few fights every so often along the way. Sometimes we ate big ripe guavas on the way home, and sometimes mandarins.

My first job after leaving school was at the Ginger Factory, pouring strawberry jam. Roads were unsealed, and when I worked back late, my means of transport home was my bike with no lights, in the dark. No memories of falling off, a few house lights were my guide.

Later I worked at Middy’s store and Fielding’s store. I met my future husband, Cecil Reynolds, at a school fancy dress ball. Cecil bought four shillings worth of petrol so that he could ask me out.

For Buderim history information, email Buderimhistory@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment