Monday, April 16, 2012

A Part of Buderim's History


Growing Up in Buderim

By Olive Marks (nee Simpson) –a B150 Living Legend

I grew up with my two siblings on the western end of Buderim in a house that has since been moved and restored. It is now known as Harry’s Restaurant.
I attended Buderim State School (as my mother did before me) which consisted of just one large and one small room at that time. It was fun walking there in all types of weather, especially playing in the water flowing along the open drains at the roadside.
The Buderim Tram is a rather distant memory as I was only five years old when it ceased running. However, I can still recall it winding its way through Telco siding.
My Dad produced the only coffee available right up to the War Years. Following that, labour for harvesting became difficult, so the business was reduced to servicing a few private growers. Eventually, coffee was overtaken by bananas and pineapples as the main crops grown here.
Leaving school at thirteen to do domestic work and pick beans and strawberries, I then worked at the Ginger Factory.
Walking down bush tracks to Meridan Plains (now Chancellor Park) for picnics with friends were big excursions. Friday Dances at the Memorial Hall were highlights as were Saturday’s Picture Nights at Maroochydore, travelling there on the back of an open truck with canvas seats.
We shopped at Middy’s, the Top Shop, the Bottom Shop and the Butchers Shop - but for dentist appointments or any special shopping we took the Saturday bus to Nambour.
I was married on a very wet day in 1951, my bridal procession having to go on a long detour to avoid Burnett Street which was being up-graded from gravel to bitumen. I got to the Church – just in time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment