Monday, April 30, 2012

A Part of Buderim's History

Buderim Guest Houses
by Joyce Short
September 2011


Buderim had three guest houses during the time of the Buderim Tram.
“Birdwood” a two storey building was in Gloucester street.  It was run by two sisters, The Misses McIntyre, who also catered for dinners or special functions.  There was a tennis court on the grounds and a group of local people were allowed to use it.
In the early thirties it changed hands and the new owners later pulled the building down and rebuilt the timber into two houses in Hospital Road, Nambour.

“Ryhope” with wonderful views towards Mt Coolum was owned and run by Mr James Lindsay and family.  In the mid thirties it was sold with the new owners keeping it going as a guest house.  During WW2 years it sold several times and became a private home.  About 1980 the building sold for removal.  It was cut into sections each section being transported by truck to the Toowoomba district and then rejoined for its new owner.

“Floraville” in King Street was owned and run by Mr & Mrs Wilson.  In the early 1940’s it and its farm sold to become a private residence.  It resold several times after that but about a decade ago it disappeared and was replaced by a block of units.

4 comments:

  1. Ryhope was moved to Cambooya Queensland in 1993. By Scott Brunner. Carolyn and Scott Brunner are the current owners of the home.
    Post written by Carolyn Brunner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carolyn, I am emailing you as I am the great great grandaughter of James Lindsay who built Ryhope at Buderim. Some of my syblings and I were hoping to find Ryhope and possibly see it again one day if thats at all possible. You can email me at kel1963lb@yahoo.com.au, I look forward to hearing from you. Kathryn Lindsay

      Delete
    2. Hi Kate, I am sure we can organise something later this year. The house is undergoing outside renovations and we hope to be able to have you and your family visit then. I will email you closer to completion. Thank you for commenting.

      Delete
    3. Hi Carolyn, I have just found your response to my request to visit Ryhope and it would be lovely if one weekend my sister Margaret and I could come for a visit. We hope all is well with you and we look forward to hearing from you after Christmas Regards Kate and Margaret Lindsay

      Delete